Davidson Funeral Homes have been serving families since 1951. Allan R. Davidson came to Port Colborne from Sarnia in 1949 and worked for the Dell-Merton Funeral Home which he purchased in 1951. The Dell-Merton Funeral Home had been serving Port Colborne and area families since 1927. He moved the business from its original site (located where Davies Stationery stands today) to the present location on the corner of Clarence and Elm Streets. In 1960, Mr. Davidson purchased the Sutherland-Thorpe Funeral Home in Welland. In 1972 he purchased the Baechler Funeral Home in Fort Erie and operated all three chapels until he sold the Welland Chapel in 1981. In 1989, Allan sold the business to his step-son Mark G. McCormack who continued to operate funeral homes in Port Colborne and Fort Erie. After one month short of 38 years of service to the residents of Fort Erie, the Fort Erie Chapel was sold in January 2010. Mark continues to operate the Davidson Funeral Home in Port Colborne.
During our history the funeral homes have undergone extensive additions and renovations to both chapels. In 1988 there was a new visitation room, chapel and lounge addition added to the existing Fort Erie Chapel and wheelchair accessibility was addressed to the existing funeral home along with the new washrooms. In 1995 the Port Colborne Chapel added a new entrance and visitation room along with the expansion of the existing funeral home's chapel and lounge. Handicap accessibility was addressed with a handicap lift and handicap washrooms being added during this renovation. In 1998, the Port Colborne Chapel's parking lot was expanded to increase the amount of on-site parking.
In 2011, Davidson Funeral Home marked its 60th anniversary with the addition of a new formal chapel, as well as a renovation of the existing facilities. The new chapel, with its upholstered oak pews, comfortably seats up to 200 people in spacious surroundings that can accommodate any type of personalized memorial service. For large funerals, additional seating for one hundred people is available in the second visitation room, which is equipped with a tv monitor, enabling every guest to view and hear the service. The new chapel houses a high-definition projector, complete with a drop-down screen which allows for viewing of video tributes and personal photos. The built-in sound system is tied into an electronic keyboard, which can be used as either a piano or an organ, catering to all musical preferences. In addition, video photography provides for live-streaming of funeral services over the internet, allowing absent friends and family members to privately view the service. A memorial DVD can also be created. This latest renovation also included the construction of a covered entrance way equipped with electronic handicap door-openers, as well as a new wheelchair-accessible restroom on the upper level, which compliments similar facilities on the main floor.
Now celebrating our 66th year, we look forward to continuing to serve our local families with the same level of service excellence that we have maintained over the years.